Sunday, February 15, 2015

Fishy bits

Quick update on the blacktip (here)! I'm finally getting there. Still have to clean about half of the gills, but otherwise all pieces are cleaned, whitened, and most are dried already. I should have everything clean and dry by the end of the month so I can start putting the shark back together.

Dorsal and pectoral fins. As with the smooth-hound skeleton, I decided to keep the skin on most of the fins to protect the ceratotrichia.

Caudal fin, I used the same approach here.

And a couple of pictures from other projects:

Three catsharks (Scyliorhinus canicula) skulls in the cleaning process.

Degreasing a black grouper sull (Mycteroperca bonaci). This guy is incredibly greasy and will probably require multiple acetone soaks before whitening and final assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment